Do you want to start using Walmart Pay but don’t want to give up any potential cash back rewards?
Our easy guide will cover the frequent question, “Can I get cash back with Walmart Pay”.
Walmart Pay first hit the market back in 2015.
With millions of Walmart shoppers, it’s no surprise Walmart Pay it’s still trying to compete in the world of virtual wallets.
But with cardless payments, do we lose the convenience of earning cashback?
Not to worry; you can still get cash back with Walmart Pay.
Let’s review how to earn cash back with Walmart Pay.
What is Walmart Pay?
Walmart Pay is a digital wallet intended to be used by customers inside their brick-and-mortar Walmart stores.
It’s an easy and secure way to make payments, especially if you hate carrying a purse or wallet.
You can’t even use Walmart Pay at their gas stations or Sam’s Club division.
Given these limitations, Walmart’s mobile wallet is really only worth your time if you frequently shop and pay at the self-checkout.
Can I Get Cash Back with Walmart Pay?
Yes, you can get cash back using Walmart Pay, provided you do the following two steps;
- You are using the self-checkout at a Walmart store.
- Your rewards credit card has been linked to your Walmart Pay account.
There are a lot of credit cards on the market. Some consumers prefer sticking with a Walmart credit card.
A popular option is the Capital One® Walmart Rewards® Card with Walmart Pay, offering 5% cash back when used with Walmart Pay during the first 12 months.
You can also link your debit card or Walmart gift cards to your Walmart wallet.
However, you won’t earn cash back with these methods unless you have a rare debit card that offers cash back rewards.
How to use Walmart Pay?
Using Walmart Pay is relatively easy once you install the app and set up your method of payment by
following the steps below;
- Create or log into your Walmart.com account
- Install the Walmart app
- Go to Account, then Wallet
- Select the payment method of your choice & enter your card information (Walmart gift card, credit card, or debit card)
- Once you’ve got your confirmation, you’re good to go.
When you are done shopping, head over to the self-checkout.
After scanning all your items, it’s time to pay;
- Click on the green Pay Now button on the register’s screen
- Tap on the QR code on the screen identified as Walmart Pay
- Open the Walmart app & select the Walmart Pay button
- Align your camera’s lens over the QR code on the checkout screen
- Your payment method will pop up; confirm the purchase & await your confirmation (receipt available there, too)
Cash back with Walmart Pay recap
You can still use Walmart Pay to earn cash back rewards.
Earn cash back through programs like Ibotta or linking a credit card such as the Walmart Discover card.
However, while Walmart Pay is technically a virtual wallet, its ability to only be used in-store at Walmart makes it yet another single-purpose app to download.
If you enjoy the idea of a digital wallet, you can get much more flexibility with Apple Pay or Google Pay wallets.