THIS DELICIOUS LENTIL AND SWEET POTATO CURRY IS PERFECT FOR THOSE BUSY DAYS WHERE YOU NEED AN EASY DUMP AND GO RECIPE!
Growing up in a multicultural home, this lentil sweet potato curry held a regular spot at our table. Curries in general are versatile, extremely flavorful, and hearty. Now throw in an Instant Pot (or brand alternative), and curries become a breeze to make!
This lentil and sweet potato curry is spicy yet creamy at the same time. It will win over even the most stubborn eaters, including my husband 😉
And why spend hours in the kitchen when you can have an amazing dinner ready to go in no time. Plus, make a double batch and your set for a leftover dinner or quick lunches for the next 3-4 days.
How to make lentil sweet potato curry
This lentil sweet potato curry is very easy to prepare. You can simply cut up your vegetables and throw everything into the Instant Pot to go (except for the coconut milk).
Alternatively you can spend 5-7 minutes sauteing your vegetables and spices using the Sauté option on the Instant Pot.
While taking these few extra minutes to cook is completely optional, it can add an extra depth of flavor to your curry (so if you have a few minutes to spare, why not).
What’s in this lentil sweet potato curry?
You will need the following delicious items;
- Red lentils
- Sweet potato
- Red curry paste
- Tomato sauce
- Light coconut milk (you can use full fat if you prefer a creamier flavor)
- Vegetable broth
- Curry powder/Garam masala/Cayenne pepper/Salt
Making your curry:
1. Rinse your lentils for a few minutes using a colander. Peel and chop your sweet potatoes into half-inch cubes. Crush your garlic and mince your ginger.
2. Add your olive oil to the Instant Pot on Sauté mode. Toss in your chopped onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Add in your garlic and ginger and stir until fragrant (about 1-1.5 minutes). Then add in your spices and stir for 30 seconds (do not let your spices burn*).
Note: If you prefer cooking without oil, pour about two tablespoons of the broth into the pot to use instead.
*When you add in your spices and sauté them for 30 seconds, everything will look dry and clumpy at the bottom, this is normal.
3. Add in your vegetable broth and use your wooden spoon to deglaze the pot (basically loosen the food residue that’s stuck to the pan).
4. Pour in your water, tomato sauce, lentils, potatoes and turn on your Instant Pot to manual (high pressure) for 15 minutes.
5. Once the pressure cooking is done, add in your coconut milk and stir. You can add a tablespoon of vegan butter for some extra creaminess (optional).
I like to turn on the sauté mode for a couple of minutes and simmer my curry once adding in the coconut milk.
Curries are extremely versatile. If you’re looking to add a green source of fiber, feel free to add in some spinach or kale.
Green peas are also very popular among curries and could easily work if you prefer or have no leafy greens available.
How to serve:
Enjoy your curry with some naan bread or a side of Basmati rice. Add some fresh coriander on top and squeeze of lime of your looking for some extra zest (optional).
For me, nothing beats dipping homemade crunchy freshly baked bread into my curry.
EASY VEGAN LENTIL AND SWEET POTATO CURRY (INSTANT POT)
- Instant Pot
- 1 cup Red lentils
- 1 large Sweet potato
- 1 cup Tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp Red curry paste add more if you like your curries very spicy
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Vegetable broth
- 1 can Low fat coconut milk (roughly 13.5 oz)
- 1 medium Onion
- 2 gloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 inch Fresh ginger (grated or finely minced)
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Curry powder
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper (add more if you like it spicy)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil (optional)
- 1 tsp Salt (to taste)
- 1 tbsp Vegan butter or spread (optional)