These double chocolate espresso zucchini muffins will win over even the most stubborn vegetable eaters!
Do you have a garden full of zucchini and want to make something other than Zoodles? Well, these double chocolate espresso zucchini muffins are a moist chocolaty delight.
While most people associate zucchini with savory meals, these summer squashes have a sneaky way of finding their way into baked goods.
And why not? It’s always fun to find new and creative ways to use up our ingredients and have even more recipes to pull from for our families.
And heck, throw in 2 types of chocolate and a shot of espresso, and you’ve got yourself a dessert and a cup of coffee in one.
You will need the following ingredients
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- All-purpose flour
- Espresso coffee
- Brown sugar
- Unsweetened apple sauce
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Vanilla extract/Salt/Baking soda
How to make double chocolate espresso zucchini muffins
1) Start by grating your zucchinis. If you are using large zucchinis, you will need to manually squeeze the excess fluid from them once grated.
If you are using small/medium zucchinis, still give them a quick squeeze but make sure you do not remove all the fluid from the zucchinis or the batter will end up too dry.
2) Mix your dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking soda.
3) In a separate bowl, add all your wet ingredients together and gently mix them together.
- Melted semi-cooled butter, brown sugar, unsweetened apple sauce, cooled brewed espresso, and room temperature eggs.
4) When everything is ready to go, start by combining your dry ingredients into your wet ingredients bowl.
5) Gently mix in the shredded zucchini. Fold in 3/4 cup of your mini chocolate chips. Do not over mix the batter.
6) Fill each muffin cup 3/4 of the way and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top of your muffin cups.
Why use espresso coffee?
These double chocolate espresso zucchini muffins are not overly sweet. But the use of espresso enhances the chocolaty flavor in these muffins giving them the taste of rich dark chocolate.
Note: If you do not have access to an Espresso machine, you can use strong cold coffee instead or some instant coffee.
You won’t get the exact same rich flavor but it can be used as a substitute.
Enjoy the summer months by trying out new and fun ways to use up your garden vegetables.
Let me know your thoughts on these delights.
If you enjoyed these muffins, then I’m sure you will love my favorite cookies;
DELICIOUS DOUBLE CHOCOLATE ESPRESSO ZUCCHINI MUFFINS YOU NEED TO TRY THIS SUMMER!
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Shredded zucchini
- 2 large Eggs (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup Butter (melted)
- 1 cup Mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (reserve a 1/4 cup)
- 1 shot Espresso (40 mL)
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Preheat your oven to 400°F on the Bake setting.
- Start by grating your zucchinis. Press the shredded zucchini manually over the sink to remove some of the excess fluid. If using small/medium zucchinis, to do not fully remove all the fluid to avoid dry muffins.
- Mix your dry ingredients together in a bowl (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt).
- Whisk all your wet ingredients together in a separate bowl (sugar, eggs, slightly/cooled espresso coffee, vanilla essence) .
- Then mix your dry ingredients into the wet ingredients bowl. Combine together but do not over mix.
- Gently mix in the shredded zucchini.
- Add 3/4 cup chocolate chips to the batter.
- Fill each muffin cup 3/4 of the way.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on the tops of the muffin cups and pop into the oven.