This post contains affiliate links. We may earn a commission, at no additional cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please review our disclosure for more
THIS SUPER EASY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP TAKES MINUTES TO PREP AND GET SIMMERING ON THE STOVE!
It’s the perfect time to make this simple healthy vegan butternut squash soup. As the summer season quickly comes to an end, the colder days suddenly bring on the urge for warmer meals in our home.
There is nothing like a nice warm bowl of soup to take the chill out of the air. And when planning our meals of the week, we love looking for seasonal vegetables to fill our cart, and winter squashes are currently available in abundance.
Butternut squash has a wonderful flavor. It has a sweet and nutty flavor making it the perfect fall vegetable for a delicious soup that can be prepped and cooked in 30 minutes.
Simple Healthy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup Ingredients
- Butternut squash
- Red pepper
- Garlic cloves
- Vegetable broth
- Oat milk
Easy Soup Preparations
This recipe is super simple to prepare. Simply peel and cut up your butternut squash into roughly one-inch pieces to make sure they cook up fast.
Chop up your red pepper (deseeded) and your onion into any size you like as it will be blended all up.
Add all your vegetables into a large pot and add in your vegetable broth. I simply used my cheap 5.5 QT Dutch oven very similar to the model below. You can use any large saucepan that you have.
I like to start my stove on high to get my pot to a roaring boil. Then reduce the heat to medium-low to let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes until your butternut squash is cooked through when pierced with a fork.
Tip: If you have a few extra minutes, you can sauté your onions for a few minutes with a touch of olive oil for some extra flavor (optional)
In our family, we prefer to salt our meals ourselves so I used reduced-sodium vegetable broth. We ended up adding twp teaspoons of salt to the final batch of blended soup with freshly ground pepper to taste.
As sodium content greatly varies among brands, I suggest salting to your families preference once the soup is fully blended up. It’s also the perfect time to stir in your oat milk and fresh ground pepper.
SIMPLE HEALTHY VEGAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- 5 cups Butternut squash (3 lbs pre-chopped)
- 1 Red pepper
- 1 medium Onion
- 6 Garlic cloves
- 1 carton Vegetable broth (32 OZ) We used low sodium broth
- 2 cups Unsweetened oat milk
- 2 tsp Salt
- Pepper (to taste)
- Peel and chop your butternut squash into one inch pieces
- Chop up your red pepper and onion into pieces (any size is fine)
- Peel your garlic gloves
- Add all vegetables into a large pot with your vegetable broth
- Bring your soup to a roaring boil. Then reduce the heat to medium-low temperature
- Cook for 20 minutes or until the butternut squash is cooked through (test with a fork)
- Remove from stove and cool to the require temperature of your blender and then blend to your preferred consistency.
- Mix in your oat milk. Add salt and pepper to taste
- Top with some roasted pumpkin seeds and a side of crostini for dipping (optional)
- You can replace the oat milk with your plant-based milk of choice, coconut milk is a great option. The oat milk does not overwhelm the soup but if your looking for a creamer flavor, full-fat coconut milk would do the trick.
- If you are not on a plant-based diet and prefer a dairy product, then cooking cream or heavy cream are great alternatives.
- Want to add a touch of spice? Try a teaspoon of red curry paste or Indian curry powder. You can also just add-in some cayenne pepper.